Non-Traumatic Brain Injury
A non-traumatic brain injury can occur as a result of an illness, lack of oxygen to the brain, aneurysms, cardiac arrest, near-drowning, tumors, metabolic disorders, etc. Non-traumatic injuries can have effects throughout the brain as it attacks the cellular structure and is not limited to concentrated areas.
Most Common causes of Non-Traumatic Brain Injury
- Anoxic Injury: inadequate or absence of oxygen to the brain, usually after cardiac arrest, drowning, choking, carbon monoxide inhalation.
- Stroke: blood supply to the brain is cut off or interrupted for some reason causing the brain cells to die.
- Hemorrhage: bleeding in or around the brain. It can be caused by an aneurysm or an arteriovenous malformation (AVM).
- Toxic or metabolic injury: abnormal, detrimental levels of chemicals accumulate within the body. This can be caused by medications, lead, drug abuse, or excess chemicals manufactured in the body that are not metabolized effectively (liver failure or kidney failure).
- Encephalitis: infection or inflammation of the brain tissues, most commonly caused by a viral infection.
- Brain tumors: primary tumor or secondary, chemotherapy and radiation can also damage brain tissue when tumor is being treated.
- Meningitis: inflammation of the thin membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord, usually caused by a virus or bacteria.
Genesis Medical Center West Campus
1401 West Central Park
If you or your loved one has suffered a brain injury, you will receive treatment from a multidisciplinary team of professionals whose goal is to provide quality, motivating & compassionate care at Genesis Medical Center Davenport. A comprehensive and individualized plan of care will be developed to help you receive the maximum functional improvement in the shortest time possible.
The experienced physician and healthcare professionals at Genesis Medical Center address the medical conditions of the brain injury patient and related issues that may affect the patient and their families. It is our goal to maximize potential for neurological recovery and functional mobility and to minimize and treat any associated condition or complications. Genesis Brain Injury Program has met or exceeded national benchmarks for independence recovery of brain injured patients.
The professional treatment team consists of a physiatrist (rehab doctor), nurses, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech language pathologist, therapeutic recreation specialist, social worker, clinical psychologist, neuropsychologist, spiritual care associate, dietician, and wound care specialists, who have multiple years of experience. The team of professionals caring for the patient have received additional training at local and national seminars. Members of the team have professional memberships in several local and national brain injury organizations.
Treatment with the brain injury patient includes the following areas:
Bowel/bladder training, adaptive equipment training, activities of daily living, cognitive-communicative functioning, swallow rehabilitation, neurofeedback/cognitiveretraining, wheelchair management, home management modifications, driver's evaluation and training, bracing, spasticity management, pain management, community retraining, psychosocial management, functional mobility, vocational referrals, nutrition, preventive healthcare, and financial/community resources.
The Genesis Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program has many educational resources available to patients and families. Patient's family members are strongly encouraged to participate in therapies, educational sessions, family conferences, and therapeutic outings.
Special Genesis Medical Center Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program features:
- Specially Trained therapy and nursing staff readily available to provide the highest quality care
- LIFT Program (Learning Independence for Tomorrow) - outpatient day treatment program
- Neurofeedback/Cognitive Retraining
- Spasticity and Mobility Management
- Orthotists available onsite for bracing needs
- RESNA Certified ATP (Rehabilitative Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America Assistive Technology Providers & Suppliers) therapists are available to provide the most up to date information regarding equipment needs and options
- RESNA Certified ATS (Assistive Technology Suppliers) are also available through Genesis Home Medical Equipment Company
- Therapy services on the Acute Neurology Unit to better prepare you for transition to the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Program
- State Of The Art Equipment to speed your recovery
- Bioness Upper and Lower Extremity Retraining Systems
- SmartBalanceMaster Assessment & Training
- LiteGait Body-weight support system is used for training persons to walk again when appropriate
- Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) is available
- A complete educational series to prepare families for discharge
- Family involvement is encouraged and support services are provided
- A full spectrum of rehabilitation services are available to help you continue your rehabilitation after discharge from the hospital
LIFT-Learning Independence for Tomorrow
LIFT is an outpatient-based program for brain injury rehabilitation.
The LIFT Program is designed for adolescents and adults who have sustained a brain injury, are medically stable, yet would benefit from intensive rehabilitation services beyond what is provided in traditional outpatient programs.
This CARF accredited program offers patient care in-group settings for 6.5 hours per day, four days a week.
The primary objective is maximizing each patient's function, independence and quality of life, through compensation strategies, cognitive rehabilitation and the development of functional skills.
Learning skills to return to work, school or recreational activities is an integral part of the treatment plan. Job analysis, simulated work activities and collaboration with school personnel and employers are some of the services provided by the LIFT staff.
Physical Therapy and Wellness
4017 Devils Glen Road
Bettendorf, IA 52722