You've been told you have cancer. You hardly have time to digest the news before it feels like you've been swept up in a whirlwind of tests, treatments, unfamiliar technology and multiple health care providers.
You fear the unknown. Your family wants answers. If you had a personalized map to guide you through the cancer treatment maze, you would buy it.
Instead, the Genesis Cancer Care Institute has something better: Cancer Navigators.
What is a Cancer Navigator?
A nurse navigator will guide your way through your cancer journey. They will:
- Be a one-on-one contact person, resource and guide
- Educate and communicate so that patients and families understand their treatment options or what their treatments, tests or procedures mean.
- Help throughout the entire course of treatment and even after treatment has ended
The cancer navigators participate in many community outreach events throughout the year.
- They collaborate with Gilda's Club to offer important educational programs to cancer patients and their families, including a course called Cancer Transitions-a free 2 hour, 6 week workshop designed to help cancer survivors make the transition from active treatment to post-treatment care.
- They organize a free couple's retreat for our cancer patients twice per year in collaboration with Gilda's Club to encourage rest, relaxation and wellness.
- They attend multiple health fairs in the Quad Cities, providing information to the community about cancer prevention and screening, including events like the annual Women's Health and Lifestyle Fair and many local employer and college health fairs.
- They offer a free educational program during the month of October in combination with our Oncology Dietitian to promote breast cancer awareness at the Kenneth H. McKay Center for Breast Health focusing on nutrition and breast cancer prevention and screening.
- They run a lung screening program, featuring a low-dose lung CT scan for appropriate patients
- They created an online educational tool for our cancer patients to increase access to educational resources regarding cancer treatment, Cancer Treatment & You.
- They collaborate with the American Cancer Society to link our cancer patients to support services, such as Road to Recovery and Reach to Recovery.