The Genesis Infusion Centers are located inside the Cancer Care Institute at Genesis Medical Center West Campus, as well as within the Emergency Department at GMC, DeWitt. Oncology Certified Registered Nurses staff the Infusion Center at Genesis Medical Center, West Campus. Care is provided to patients in an open, airy environment. We provide a comfortable reclining chair as some of the treatments are lengthy.
Examples of treatments provided in the Infusion Center are:
- Blood and platelet transfusions
- Insertion of PICCs (peripherally inserted central catheters)
- Chemotherapy administration, including home ambulatory pumps
- Care of central lines such as Hickman or Groshong catheters
- Intravenous medications such as antibiotics, solumedrol, iron dextran
- Migraine headache treatment requiring outpatient intravenous medications
- Plasmapheresis (in conjunction with the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center) (only available at West Campus)
- Therapeutic phlebotomy (only available at West Campus)
- Drawing blood from central lines for laboratory studies
All patients seen in the Infusion Center are admitted to Genesis Medical Center as an outpatient. A physician with privileges to practice at Genesis Medical Center must write orders for the treatment to be given.