Friday - October 25, 2013 -- 15th Annual Respiratory Care Conference
Respiratory Care Practitioners, Nurses, and Allied Healthcare Practitioners who provide care to the pulmonary patient.
To provide healthcare professionals the pathway/ability to expand their awareness in the ever-changing field of Pulmonary Care.
- Describe symptoms, signs for lung cancer; diagnostic work-up, evaluation of preop lung function, indications & techniques for operation and postop care.
- Determine when patient is appropriate for mobilization in the intensive care unit
- Identify indicators of adverse responses to mobilization.
- Review the basics of oxygenation and hypoxemia.
- Describe ways to improve oxygenation using different modes and settings of mechanical ventilation.
- Describe adjuncts to mechanical ventilation that can be used to improve oxygenation.
- Discuss the challenges and opportunities facing the respiratory care workforce of the future.
- Define the term "Adverse Event" in relation to the healthcare environment.
- Review the Joint Commission requirements for reporting and responding to adverse events.
- Describe the ethical dilemma(s) involved in reporting adverse events and the possible outcomes of reporting or not reporting events.
7:30 am - 2:15 pm
7:30 am Registration & Continental Breakfast
8:00 am Minimally Invasive Surgery for Lung Cancer (Kontos)
9:00 am Early Mobilization in Intensive Care Unit: Focus on Decision Making Process (Puthoff)
10:00 am Break
10:15 am Improving Oxygenation During Mechanical Ventilation (Lamphere)
11:15 am LUNCH
12:00 The Future: Will Respiratory Care Survive (Watson)
1:00 pm Break - Dessert
1:15 pm Reporting Adverse Events in Healthcare Environment (Lamphere)
2:15 pm Summary, Evaluation & Adjournment
Free parking is available in the employee parking lot North of the Heart Institute behind the parking ramp.
Continuing Education Credits
Nursing - 6.0 contact hours by IBON Provider #59, Genesis Medical Center (GMC) Davenport
Iowa Respiratory Therapy - 6.0 CEUs
Illinois Respiratory Therapy - 6.0 CEUs, GMC, Silvis
Iowa SW, PT, PTA, OT, COTA, TR, Psychology may be eligible for 6.0 hours of credit
Illinois PT, PTA, OT, COTA - 6.0 CEUs, GMC, Silvis