- Year joined staff:
- General Surgery
- Surgery - Bariatric
Education and Training
- Des Moines University – Osteopathic Medical Center, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals, General surgery
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals, Chief surgery resident
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals
- American Board of Osteopathic Surgery Written Examination. Passed October 2012.
- American Board of Osteopathic Surgery Oral Examination. Passed November 2013.
- COMLEX Part I, II, and III passed. Series completed in May 2008.
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery. Henry Ford Hospital. 2012.
- Fundamentals of Critical Care Support. Detroit, MI. Sinai Grace Hospital. 2010.
- Advanced Trauma Life Support. Detroit, MI. Henry Ford Hospital. 2012.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support. Genesis Medical Center. Davenport, IA. 2013.
- Ethicon Realize Band Certification. August 2012.
Publications, Poster Presentations, and Research
- Burchett M, Mattar SG, McKenna DT. Iatrogenic Intestinal and Mesenteric Injuries with Small Bowel Volvulus Following Use of Barbed Suture During a Laparoscopic Myomectomy. Journal of Laparoendoscopic Advanced Surgical Technology. 2013:May 2.
- Burchett MA, McKenna DT, Selzer DJ, Choi J, Blythe L, Mattar SG. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbidly Obese Patients = 62 Years at a Single Academic Institution. Abstract submitted to Obesity Surgery 2/2014.
- Burchett MA, McKenna DT, Selzer DJ, Choi J, Blythe L, Mattar SJ. Revision and/or Replacement of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Bands Requires Frequent Reoperation and Inadequate Weight loss: Outcomes from a Single Academic Tertiary Bariatric Center. Abstract submission pending revision 2014.
- Burchett MA, Selzer DJ, Choi J, Blythe L, Mattar SG, McKenna DT. Conversion of Nissen Fundoplication to Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Provides Good Long-Term Results. Abstract submitted 6/2013.
- McKenna DT, Selzer DJ, Burchett MA, Choi J, Mattar SG. Weight Loss Is a Poor Indication for Revisional Bariatric Surgery. Abstracted accepted to SOARD 2/2014.
- Long-term outcomes of conversion of conversion failed Nissen fundoplication to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. McKenna DT, Burchett MA, Mwanza D, Blythe L, Choi J, Selzer DT, Mattar SG. SAGES. April 2013. Baltimore, MD.
- Long-term outcomes of revision of failed bariatric operations with weight regain to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. McKenna DT, Mattar SJ, Mwanza D, Burchett MA, Blythe L, Choi J, Selzer DJ. SAGES. April 2013. Baltmore, MD.
- Hematopoietic stem cell efficacy in combating reactive oxygen species-related damage in aging hepatocytes. University of Iowa, Department of Exercise Science. 2002-2003.
- Effects of preinjury anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy on elderly patients that sustain traumatic brain injuries with intracranial hemorrhage. Henry Ford Macomb Hospital. 2010-2012.
Teaching or Professional Positions
Des Moines University Clinical Instructor 2014 to present
Indiana University School of Medicine
- Clinical skills laboratory instructor for general surgery residents. 2012-2013
- Medical student and resident teaching faculty. 2012-2013
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine clinical faculty. 2008-2012
- Resident and medical student lecture series
- Annual evaluation
- Statewide campus system lecture series
- American College of Osteopathic Surgeons (ACOS)
- American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Society of Surgery for the Alimentary Tract (SSAT)
- Illinois Osteopathic Medical Society
American Board Osteopathic Surgery