Welcome to Medicare Initial Preventative Physical Exam
Within the first year (12 months) of enrolling in Medicare Part B, members may receive this limited exam. The visit includes recording and evaluating your medical and family history, current health conditions and prescriptions. Your doctor will check your blood pressure, vision, weight and height. Your doctor will ensure you are up-to-date with preventive screenings and services such as cancer screenings and immunizations. Your doctor may order further test, depending on your general health and medical history. This visit is a limited exam and more of a discussion with your provider.
Medicare's Annual Wellness Visit (AWV)
After the initial 12 months of being enrolled in Medicare Part B, members are eligible for this visit annually. There is no out-of-pocket expense to the Medicare member. The AWV includes:
- Routine measurements such as height, weight and blood pressure
- Review of medical and family history
- Establishing a list of current providers, suppliers and medications
- Personal risk assessment
- Review of functional ability and level of safety
- Establishing a schedule for Medicare's screening and preventive services over the next 5-10 years
- Voluntary advanced care planning
Is the annual wellness visit the same thing as an annual physical exam?
No. The annual wellness visit is not a physical. In addition to collecting medical history, a physical exam may include: head and neck exam, heart and lung exam, abdominal exam, neurological exam, dermatological exam, and extremities exam. You may choose to have a physical at another visit, but Medicare will not pay for the service.