Virginia L. Pilcher, RN Scholarship
The Virginia L. Pilcher, R.N., Scholarship fund is an endowed fund, the interest from which is granted each year in financial assistance for educational scholarships for nurses pursuing a baccalaureate or masters degree.
Scholarship History & Overview
The Virginia L. Pilcher, R.N., Scholarship fund was established in 1989 in recognition of the high standard of excellence in nursing established and exemplified by Virginia L. Pilcher, R.N., as Vice President and Director of the Department of Nursing for Mercy Hospital during her 43 years of employment.
The growth of the fund is contingent on additional donations. As the endowment principal grows, the amount of scholarship funds increases. Donations may not be specifically designated for a named individual or department.
- Applicant must be a licensed registered nurse in the state of Iowa, in good standing to practice nursing in the state, and employed by Genesis Medical Center, Davenport at the time the scholarship is granted.
- Programs and classes funded shall be for higher education course work toward a degree in nursing - either baccalaureate or advanced, at an accredited college or university. The applicant must be currently accepted or enrolled in a degree program and eligible for enrollment in the class.
- Applicant must demonstrate professional demeanor and exhibit behavior exemplifying the mission and vision of Genesis Medical Center.
- Consideration will be given to the applicant’s participation within the Genesis organization, promotion of professionalism through mentoring, length of service at Genesis Medical Center and its predecessors, a satisfactory work record, a statement of desire and a written recommendation from the employee’s supervisor.
- Consideration will be given to R.N.’s involved in direct care giving.
- The criteria for selection of recipients shall be made without discrimination as to financial need, sex, color, or national origin.
Funds will be released to the educational institution presenting the program, not to the individual requesting assistance.
The Virginia L. Pilcher Committee shall meet once a year to select recipient(s) of the scholarship award. The number of scholarships and amounts will be based on the interest income generated from the endowment.