May is Mental Health Month
Raising Awareness and Dispelling Myths Can Enhance Well Being
Everyone feels worried, anxious, sad or stressed sometimes. But with a mental illness, these feelings do not go away and are severe enough to interfere with your daily life. It can make it hard to meet and keep friends, hold a job or enjoy your life.
Mental illnesses are common - they affect about one in five families in the U.S. It is not your fault if you have one. These disorders - depression, phobias, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and many others - are real diseases that you cannot will or wish away. Fortunately, they are often treatable. Medicines and therapy can improve the life of most people with mental illnesses.
Call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) to be connected to a trained counselor at a suicide crisis center nearest you.
Mental Health Facts
- Money and work are two of the top sources of stress for almost 75 percent of Americans.
- Sixty percent of employee absences are due to psychological problems.
- Only cancer and stroke keep more Americans from work than do mental disorders.
- In any month, 8 million Americans suffer depression
- During a lifetime, one out of five persons will be depressed.
- One-third of the homeless suffer from a severe emotional disorder.
|| Quad City Area
| Manic Depression
| Major Depression
| Panic Disorder
| Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
| Attention Deficit Disorder
|| 3 to 5%
|| 12,000 to 20,000
Genesis Can Help
Genesis Psychology Associates
Location and Phone Number
4455 E. 56th Street, Davenport, Iowa. 563-355-2577.
Genesis Psychology Associates is staffed by professionals in the fields of clinical and counseling psychology; neuropsychology; psychiatry; social work; marriage, family, and mental health counseling; and nursing.
We provide a wide array of psychotherapy and counseling services for persons with:
- Adjustment difficulties
- Head injury
- Grief and bereavement
- Eating disorders
- Alcohol abuse
- Substance abuse
- Health related issues
- Sexual abuse
- Stress management
- Marriage issues
- Family issues
- Anger management
- Issues related to aging
- attention deficit disorder
- Full List of Conditions Treated
Genesis Psychology Services serves individuals, couples, and families ranging in age from 4 to 95.
If you are thinking about harming yourself or attempting suicide, tell someone who can help right away:
- Call your doctor's office.
- Genesis Psychology Associates has 24 hour emergency coverage.
- Call 563-383-1768 to reach our paging service and request to speak to your therapist of the on-call therapist.
- Call 911 for emergency services.
- Go to the nearest hospital emergency room: Genesis Medical Center, West Central Park or to the nearest emergency room of any hospital.
- Call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) to be connected to a trained counselor at a suicide crisis center nearest you.
Mental Health Awareness
With our Mental Health Awareness Tool learn more about the thoughts associated with six common mental health disorders:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder
Many people use meditation to help reduce stress and tension, but studies suggest meditation may help ease symptoms of physical and mental conditions. Even just a few minutes a day can help.