Excellence in Total Joint Replacement Surgery
Genesis, Davenport awarded certification from The Joint Commission
There are many reasons to have total joint replacement surgery at Genesis Medical Center, Davenport -- from high patient satisfaction scores and a dedicated Orthopedic Unit to national awards for quality.
Now, the nation’s most prestigious accrediting body for health care organizations has given patients seeking a total hip or total knee replacement yet another reason to choose Genesis: The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval™.
The hospital’s team of orthopedic surgeons, nurses, and surgical and rehabilitation staff earned the certification for providing exceptional care to joint replacement patients.
To earn the honor, the hospital underwent a rigorous, on-site survey and demonstrated state-of-the-art standards in the care of patients and their families, including infection prevention and control, leadership and medication management. These nationally recognized quality and safety standards are important because they significantly improve patient outcomes.
“The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for joint replacement validates the exceptional work we’re doing at Genesis,” said Jordan Voigt, Executive Director of Orthopedic Services. “We’re taking a team approach to enhance the individualized, patient-centered care we deliver at every stage -- from scheduling, pre-admission and pre-operative care to the surgery, post-operative care and rehabilitation.
“Our multi-disciplinary team represents surgery, anesthesia, nursing, case management, pharmacy, quality, physical and occupational therapy, as well as dietary,” Voigt adds. “Achieving Joint Commission certification for our joint replacement program is a major step toward maintaining excellence and continually improving the care we provide.”
There are many reasons patients choose Genesis for their total hip and knee replacement surgery:
• Highly trained orthopedic surgeons -- The orthopedic surgery team at Genesis offers trusted surgeons who have vast training and experience and a high case volume.
• Orthopedic-certified nurses -- The Orthopedic Unit has 10 Orthopedic Nurse-Certified (ONC) nurses who have received specialized training in the care of orthopedic patients. In addition, Genesis, Davenport has received Magnet designation for nursing excellence. Magnet-designated hospitals follow best practices for improved patient outcomes.
• High patient satisfaction scores -- The Orthopedic Unit consistently has patient satisfaction scores ranking in the top 10 percent.
• A dedicated Orthopedic Unit -- The West Central Park campus of Davenport has an updated Orthopedic Unit -- an entire floor dedicated to the unique needs of orthopedic patients.
• A focus on quality and patient safety -- The Gold Seal of Approval proves Genesis has a consistently high level of quality, with data-driven performance improvement efforts and a consistent approach to care.
• Patient education -- Before surgery, total hip and total knee replacement patients can attend educational classes and learn what to expect before, during and after surgery. They meet with nurses, dietitians, occupational and physical therapists, as well as representatives from social services and Genesis Home Medical Equipment. Similar classes are offered at Genesis, Illini, where total joint replacement surgery is done, as well.
• Award-winning rehabilitation -- Genesis Medical Center, Davenport has the largest physical medicine and rehabilitation program in Iowa, with CARFaccredited inpatient and outpatient programs.