Good management of diabetes includes following a meal plan for diabetes, engaging in physical activity, glucose monitoring with record keeping, taking medication if needed to control blood glucose, reducing stress, and participating in a diabetes self management program.
The bonus of good management is having more energy, feeling good, and reducing complications associated with diabetes. Good management should not only focus on physical health but your emotional well being. Getting physical activity and having a support mechanism can help in reducing your stress.
Have regular check-ups and use your appointment time wisely
- See your doctor for your diabetes regularly.
- See a certified diabetes educator.
- Have the doctor check your blood pressure and do foot exams on each visit.
- Be ready, have your shoes and socks off and ask for the foot exam.
- Bring your list of medications you are taking.
- Bring your record keeping log of your blood sugars.
- Have a written list of your questions.
- Ask to receive a copy of your lab work and have it reviewed (A1C, lipids, and microalbumin)
- Have an annual eye and dental exam