Don't wait. The American Stroke Association says to call 911 or your local emergency number immediately if you notice one or more of these symptoms:
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
When seeking help, seconds count. Do not drive yourself to the emergency room - call 911 and request an ambulance. Emergency medical technicians are trained and prepared to handle escalating symptoms. Treatment is more effective when given quickly.