PLMD vs. Restless Leg Syndrome
PLMD is a sleep disorder that occurs where patients limbs move involuntarily during sleep.
- Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Difficulty staying asleep throughout the night
- Often linked with Restless Leg Syndrome
- Movements are rhythmic and occur every 20-40 seconds
Restless Leg Syndrome
A condition that involves strange uncomfortable sensations in the limbs causing one to move during wake.
- Unpleasant feeling in limbs (creepy, crawly)
- Irresistable urge to move to relieve sensation
- Sensations begin during quiet wakefulness such as reading, relaxing, or trying to sleep.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
How to Get Diagnosed
If you suspect you have PLMD or Restless Leg Syndrome you should talk
to one of our sleep physicians in Genesis Sleep Clinic. For more information please call 563-421-1523.
- The physician will start by getting a complete medical history
- The physician will want to speak with your bed partner or other members of your household about your sleeping behavior.
- Restless Leg can be treated through the physician with medication.
- PLMD requires a Sleep Study to determine the severity of sleep disturbance.
Some home remedies are effective for some people with RLS:
- Hot Bath
- Leg Massage
- Applied Heat
- Ice Packs
- Aspirin or other pain relievers
- Regular exercise
- Elimination of caffeine
- Sleep Hygiene Rules can help to sleep more soundly
- Medications can be used to treat the symptoms