A Community Education Class
Have you recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis? Join us for a 4-week workshop and learn exercises and strategies that optimize bone health and minimize stress to the spine. The cost for this workshop is $100.
Facts About Osteoporosis
- Worldwide, osteoporosis causes more than 8.9 million fractures annually, resulting in an osteoporosis fracture every 3 seconds.
- Osteoporosis is a musculoskeletal disorder with compromised bone strength that predisposes an individual to increased fracture risk.
- Osteoporosis is the most common cause of fracture. Most common sites of fracture include the spine, the hips, and the wrists.
- Roughly 10 million individuals over age 50 in the United States have osteoporosis of the hip. An additional 33.6 million individuals over age 50 have low bone mass increasing their risk of osteoporosis and its potential complications later in life.
- Education on exercise, nutrition, and safe movement with functional activities can be beneficial in preventing fractures.
What You'll Learn in Class
- The role of sitting posture on the spine
- Better body alignment
- Exercises to help relieve back pain, promote spinal alignment, and strengthen key muscles
- Nutrition for the bones
- Balance Training to decrease potential fall risk
- Safely completing activities of daily living and leisure activities with proper body mechanics
Is This Workshop for You?
If you can say "yes" to any of the following questions, you should consider joining us:
- Have you been diagnosed with osteoporosis or osteopenia?
- Have you lost height in the last year or so?
- Has your posture become more stooped?
- Are you unsure what ‘safe’ activities are for your bones?
Call us at 563-421-0300 for more information or to sign up.