Stepping On Fall Prevention
Building Confidence, Reducing Falls
Stepping On is a program that has been researched and proven to reduce falls in older people.
The workshop that meets for two hours a week for seven weeks and is led by Genesis physical therapists. In addition, local guest experts provide information on exercise, vision, safety and medications.
Should I Be Concerned About Falling?
Falling is very common; it can result in injury and can shake your confidence. The threat of falling can be a barrier to safely doing all the things you want to do at home and in the community. That’s why preventing falls is critical to maintaining independence.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury and hospitalization for trauma and death among older adults.
- The average charge for a hospital visit associated with a fall for someone over age 65 is $26,388.
- 40% of people who enter a nursing home had a fall in the prior 30 days.
Reduce Your Fall Risk
During the 7-week course we will cover the following:
- Simple and fun balance and strength training
- The role vision plays in keeping your balance
- How medications can contribute to falls
- Ways to keep from falling when out in your community
- What to look for in safe footwear
- How to check your home for fall hazards or decrease fall hazards
Should I Participate in Stepping On?
- Stepping On is designed specifically for anyone who:
- Is 65 or older
- Has had a fall in the past year
- Is fearful of falling
- Lives at home
- Does not have dementia