Preparing For Robotic Surgery
For your convenience, we’ve designed a checklist for use in preparing for your hospital stay. If your physician instructs you differently, please follow your doctor’s orders.
Seven Days Before Admission
- Contact your health insurance provider to confirm that Genesis Medical Center and your surgeon are preferred providers. If you will be receiving anesthesia, also confirm that Anesthesia & Analgesia, P.C. is a preferred provider. All anesthesiologists working at Genesis are part of this group.
- Complete any preadmission tests ordered by your physician at Genesis Medical Center. When you arrive at the hospital for your tests, check in at the Admitting Desk. The tests usually take a minimum of thirty minutes. The preadmission nurse can conduct an interview at this time, expect an additional thirty minutes.
- Make arrangements to have an adult drive you to the hospital when admitted and take you home when you leave.
- Patients under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian before any tests or surgery can be performed.
- Prepare an accurate list of your prescription medications, herbal supplements, and over-the-counter medications, including dosages, to bring with you. Also list prior hospitalizations and surgeries, their dates, and any allergies you have.
- If you get a sore throat, fever, cough, or exhibit other signs of illness within three days of your scheduled surgery, notify your physician.
24 Hours Before Admission
- If you have not spoken with a preadmission nurse yet, please call 563-421-6800 between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm Monday-Friday for your preadmission health interview.
- Except for a form of payment for prescriptions to go home with, please do not bring any other cash or charge cards. Remove any jewelry and body piercings.
- Bring a copy of your Living Will or Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care document.
- Pack your tablet or other items you would like during your stay, complementary Wi-Fi is available.
- Children are encouraged to bring a favorite blanket and/or a small toy.
- Shampoo your hair, shower or bathe. Avoid heavy hair spray, mousse, lotion, powder, etc. Remove nail polish and makeup. Sculptured nails are permissible. Do not shave the surgical body part for 2 days prior to surgery.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages. Follow your physician’s orders regarding prescription drugs. Use inhalers per normal schedule. Bring your inhaler with you to the hospital. Call your physician for instructions and take medications as physician directs.
- Stop these medications:
- Ask your doctor how many day's before surgery you should stop herbal medication.
- DO NOT take Metformin the evening prior to/or morning of your procedure or surgery. If taken, surgery will be cancelled.
- Ask your doctor what to do if you take:
- Blood thinners like Coudamin (warfarin) or Plavix, injectable heparin, or any medicine for diabetes.
- Stop Aspirin or anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDS), as directed by your physician.
- Stopping any MEDICATIONS is to be done as your physician directs. Call your physician for instructions.
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, unless you have received other instructions from your physician. If you have been instructed to take medication, use only a sip of water.
- Bring your insurance card and a photo identification card.
- Come to Genesis Medical Center, East Rusholme Street, at your scheduled time.
- Park in the South Parking Ramp located south of the hospital, off of East High Street or in front of the hospital main entrance. View map for parking.
- Enter the hospital through the Main entrance. Doors open at 5:00 a.m. Register in Admitting on first floor.
- Wheelchairs are available inside the Main entrance.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that is easy to remove. Clothing should be loose enough to fit over large and bulky dressings. For example, sweatpants work well for knee surgeries. A hospital gown will be worn during the procedure.
We will do everything we can to make your stay at Genesis as pleasant as possible. If you have any questions about your upcoming surgery or hospital stay, please feel free to call Genesis Preadmission Services at 563-421-6800, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. - 5p.m.