Career Exploration – Genesis Health System
We understand the value and interest in career exploration to help you gain useful information about the skills and education required for various careers. The following guidelines describe the various opportunities available and are set in place to ensure safety, security, and patient privacy.
Note: Genesis Health System reserves the right to suspend career exploration opportunities at any time due to the health and safety of the organization and the community.
Job Shadowing for Individuals 18 years and Older
Job shadow experiences are available at Genesis Health System for individuals 18 years and older who have a particular interest in learning more about various careers within the healthcare sector. Participants interested in a shadow experience must complete an online request (see link below) and required forms to ensure that the experience meets the needs of the participant. Job shadow experiences are provided for a limited duration on a single day.
Job shadowing in critical care areas—such as the below are not permitted:
- Intensive Care Unit (All)
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Operating Room
- Cardiac Cath Lab
- Behavioral Health Unit
- All Partnerships
Guidelines for Eligible Job Shadowing Individuals:
- Must have an approved identification sticker provided by the screening desk that clearly identifies the observer as a VISITOR
- Must comply with Genesis Health System Professional Appearance Policy and be respectful with patients and others at all times
- Dress Code - Business Casual
- No Jeans
- Must not wear hospital uniforms that may give the perception of medical training, competency, or employment with Genesis (i.e scrubs, lab coats, etc.)
- Wear flat comfortable walking shoes - no sandals or open-toed shoes.
Job Shadow Request Form
Observations for Degree Requirements or Clinical Rotations (Coming Soon)
If you are an individual over the age of 18 who needs to participate in an onsite experience for your degree requirements, you may be eligible to observe various staff at Genesis Health System. You must be enrolled in a formal training or educational program at a college or institution. Contracts are in place with many formal programs at various colleges and universities. Please contact your degree program coordinator or counselor about your requirements to determine if your program is eligible for observation or rotation at Genesis Health System.
Mini Adventures in Healthcare (Coming 2023)
Individual job shadows are not available for anyone under the age of 18 at Genesis Health System. We instead encourage students between the ages of 16-18 to participate in Genesis Mini Adventures in Healthcare. Check back for more exciting information to come as this program prepares to launch in 2023!