Metabolic Syndrome Initiative
Genesis Philanthropy offers you the opportunity to be screened for metabolic syndrome and, if clinically qualified and accepted, to participate in a FREE 10-week online program. Metabolic syndrome leads to many chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
Participants have been selected for Fall 2017 classes for Affiliates DeWitt Community Hospital Foundation, Genesis Foundation, and Mercer Foundation for Health, to begin October 9th for 10 weeks. The next class opening will be Spring 2018.
The Naturally Slim® program has been offered to Genesis Health System employees since 2009. Program requirements include:
- Access to a computer with high speed internet. Lessons are accessed weekly online.
- Complete all weekly sessions, most lasting approximately 30 minutes (Week 1 lesson is about 90 minutes).
- Pre and post health screens are required.
- Applicants with at least 3 of the 5 risk factors and financial need are considered in the application.
- Only those who will commit to completing the 10-week program will be accepted to participate.
Tony Tharp, lost 116lbs with
the Naturally Slim® program.
Metabolic Syndrome is indicated through a bio-metric screening when 3 or more of 5 identified risk factors are present.
The 5 risk factors are:
- Waist measurement greater than or equal to 40" for men, 35" for women
- Blood pressure greater than or 130/85
- Triglycerides greater than or equal to 150
- Fasting glucose greater than or equal to 100
- HDL cholesterol less than 50 in men, 40 for women