Michael A. Burchett, DO, FACOS
Accepting new patients.
A referral is required.
Call for an Appointment
Crow Valley Surgery Center | Affiliated with Genesis
2300 53rd Avenue
Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt
1118 11th Street
Genesis Health Group, Surgical Associates
855 Illini Drive
Genesis Health Group, Specialty Clinic, Aledo
409 NW Ninth Avenue
Genesis HealthPlex, Bettendorf
2140 53rd Avenue
Sunday : Closed
Monday : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday : Closed
- Year joined staff:
- General Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Screening and Therapeutic Endoscopy
Publications, Poster Presentations, and Research
- Burchett MA, McKenna DT, Selzer DJ, Choi J, Blythe L, Mattar SG. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy Is Safe and Effective in Elderly Patients: A Comparative Analysis. Obesity Surgery. 2015;25(2):222-8.
- McKenna DT, Selzer DJ, Burchett MA, Choi J, Mattar SG. Revisional Bariatric Surgery Is More Effective for Improving Obesity-Related Co-morbidities than It Is for Inducing Major Weight Loss. Surg Obes Rel Dis. 2014;10(4):654-9.
- Burchett M, Mattar SG, McKenna DT. Iatrogenic Intestinal and Mesenteric Injuries with Small Bowel Volvulus Following Use of Barbed Suture During a Laparoscopic Myomectomy. Journal of Laparoendoscopic Advanced Surgical Technology. 2013:May 2.
- Burchett MA, McKenna DT, Selzer DJ, Choi J, Mattar SJ. The Natural History of Revision and/or Replacement of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Bands Requires Frequent Reoperations and Inadequate Weight loss: Outcomes from a Single Academic Tertiary Bariatric Center. Abstract and manuscript submitted 6/2015.
- Burchett MA, Selzer DJ, Choi J, Blythe L, Mattar SG, McKenna DT. Conversion to a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Provides a Safe, Effective Treatment for Failed Fundoplication . Submission pending final review.
- Mattar SG, Wennergren J, Burchett MA, McKenna DT, Choi JN, Selzer DJ. Portal Hypertension is not an Absolute Contraindication to Bariatric Surgery. Abstract submitted 2/2015.
- Long-term outcomes of conversion of conversion failed Nissen fundoplication to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. McKenna DT, Burchett MA, Mwanza D, Blythe L, Choi J, Selzer DT, Mattar SG. SAGES. April 2013. Baltimore, MD.
- Long-term outcomes of revision of failed bariatric operations with weight regain to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. McKenna DT, Mattar SJ, Mwanza D, Burchett MA, Blythe L, Choi J, Selzer DJ. SAGES. April 2013. Baltmore, MD.
- Hematopoietic stem cell efficacy in combating reactive oxygen species-related damage in aging hepatocytes. University of Iowa, Department of Exercise Science. 2002-2003.
- Effects of preinjury anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy on elderly patients that sustain traumatic brain injuries with intracranial hemorrhage. Henry Ford Macomb Hospital. 2010-2012.
Education & Training
- Des Moines University – Osteopathic Medical Center, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, General Surgery
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Chief surgery resident
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Awards & Certifications
Honors, Awards, etc.
- American Board of Osteopathic Surgery Written Examination. Passed October 2012.
- American Board of Osteopathic Surgery Oral Examination. Passed November 2013.
- COMLEX Part I, II, and III passed. Series completed in May 2008
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery. Henry Ford Hospital. 2012
- Fundamentals of Critical Care Support. Detroit, MI. Sinai Grace Hospital. 2010.
- Advanced Trauma Life Support. Iowa City, IA . University of Iowa. 2016.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support. Genesis Medical Center. Davenport, IA. 2013.
- Ethicon Realize Band Certification. August 2012.
American Board Osteopathic Surgery
Teaching or Professional Positions
American College of Osteopathic Surgeons General Surgery Examination Committee Co-Chair 2019 to present
Des Moines University Clinical Instructor 2014 to present
Indiana University School of Medicine
- Clinical skills laboratory instructor for general surgery residents. 2012-2013
- Medical student and resident teaching faculty. 2012-2013
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine clinical faculty. 2008-2012
- Resident and medical student lecture series
- Annual evaluation
- Statewide campus system lecture series
University of Iowa Department of Chemistry Undergraduate Teaching Assistant. 2002-2003
- American College of Osteopathic Surgeons (ACOS)
- American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Society of Surgery for the Alimentary Tract (SSAT)
- American Hernia Society
- Illinois Osteopathic Medical Society