Heart Tests & Diagnosis
At Genesis Heart Institute, advanced screening and diagnostic tools help medical professionals detect and accurately diagnose cardiovascular diseases as soon as possible. That means you can get proper treatment early—when it works best.
Cardiac Diagnostics at Genesis Heart Institute
The Genesis Cardiac Diagnostics Department is dedicated to providing compassionate, quality care to both the adult and pediatric population. All cardiac testing utilizes state-of-the-art facilities and equipment to provide safe patient care.
Comprehensive Cardiovascular Screenings & Diagnostics
Heart and vascular screenings detect problems and may reveal your risk of heart attack or stroke before you experience symptoms. You might learn whether you need to change diet and exercise habits to improve your heart health.
If a screening reveals an abnormality, or you experience symptoms of a cardiovascular condition, diagnostic tools assist your doctor in determining the cause.
Take charge of your well-being at Genesis Heart Institute with screenings and diagnostics such as:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm ultrasound – Looks for aneurysms, or blood vessel bulges, in your abdomen
- Blood pressure check – Measures the force against the walls of arteries as your heart pumps
- Ankle-brachial index – Assesses blood pressure in your ankle and arm to determine your risk of peripheral artery disease (PAD)
- Carotid duplex – Checks the neck arteries for plaque, which could lead to stroke
- Coronary angiography – Uses contrast dye injected into your blood vessels to make them visible with a CT scan, which your doctor employs to check for narrowing, blockage or aneurysms
- Echocardiogram – Provides images that may show enlargement of the heart, valve abnormalities, blood clots or other concerns
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) – Reveals the heart’s electrical activity, which could identify irregular rhythms and help predict or diagnose heart attacks
- Holter monitoring – Attaches electrodes to your chest for one or two days to record your heart’s rhythms
- Lipid profile – Shows blood cholesterol levels, which may indicate your risk of stroke or heart disease
- Nuclear scan – Begins with the injection of a safe, radioactive substance into your body to make blood vessels show up on a camera, which a physician views to assess blood flow and possible heart damage
- Nuclear stress test
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)
- Stress test - Sometimes called a treadmill test or exercise test, helps a doctor find out how well your heart reacts to the demands of physical activity
- Skin perfusion pressure test – Assesses blood flow to your lower legs
- Tilt Table Test - a diagnostic test used to help a physician determine why a patient has been experiencing dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting spells
- Venous reflux test – Examines how well veins in your legs function
Ask your doctor about also getting screened for depression and diabetes—conditions that increase your risk of heart disease.
Get Expert Heart Treatment
If you’re diagnosed with a heart or vascular condition, trust Genesis Heart Institute to provide expert treatment. You may benefit from cardiothoracic and vascular surgery, minimally invasive interventional cardiology procedures or innovative therapies such as induced hypothermia, which can save lives after cardiac arrest.