Cardiothoracic & Thoracic Surgery
When your heart, chest or blood vessels need surgery, entrust your treatment to Genesis Heart Institute. You’ll benefit from award-winning care, sophisticated surgical techniques and some of the most experienced heart surgeons in the Midwest. We go above and beyond to help you achieve the best possible outcome of your procedure.
Your Satisfaction is Our Priority
Your surgeon, nurses and the rest of your care team treat you with respect. We take time to explain your operation in clear, understandable terms and fully answer your questions, so you feel comfortable before your procedure. That’s one reason the Genesis Cardiac Surgeons practice has twice earned the Press Ganey Summit Award, which recognizes patient satisfaction scores that rank among the top 5 percent of participating providers for three years in a row.
Comprehensive Surgical Services
Trust Genesis for many cardiothoracic and vascular surgeries, including:
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) – Diverts blood flow around blocked arteries using veins and arteries to create bypasses that re-direct flow to the heart (do not use PAS-Port anymore)
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) – Implants a prosthetic heart valve inside a diseased aortic valve with a minimally invasive procedure available at only three hospitals in Iowa, including the Heart Institute
- Heart valve surgery – Repairs or replaces narrowing or leaking valves by using minimally invasive or traditional procedures
- Maze and mini-maze procedures – Block abnormal electrical signals to your heart and promote a steady, regular heartbeat
- Abdominal and thoracic aortic aneurysm repair – Eliminates enlarged, weakened sections of arteries
- Congenital heart defect repair – Treats heart problems present at birth
- Open heart surgery – Makes an incision a few inches long in your chest to give surgeons access to your heart
- Cancer surgery – Removes tumors in your lungs, esophagus and trachea
Prepare for Surgery
Help ensure your stay at The Heart Institute goes as smoothly as possible. Find our location, and then explore patient and visitor information to learn about:
- Preregistering for surgery online or by phone to save time
- Submitting insurance information, paying bills and qualifying for financial assistance
- Preparing advance directives
- Taking advantage of services and amenities in your hospital room
- Visiting hours for friends and family
Recover After Your Procedure
Following heart surgery, participate in Genesis’ cardiopulmonary rehabilitation program to gain strength and endurance. You’ll benefit from personalized guidance in exercising safely, setting fitness goals and achieving your best health.