Virginia L. Pilcher, RN Scholarship
The Virginia L. Pilcher, RN, Scholarship fund is an endowed fund, the interest from which financial assistance is granted yearly for educational scholarships for nurses pursuing a baccalaureate or masters degree.
Scholarship History & Overview:
The Virginia L. Pilcher, RN, Scholarship fund was established in 1989 in recognition of the high standard of excellence in nursing established and exemplified by Virginia L. Pilcher, RN, as Vice President and Director of the Department of Nursing for Mercy Hospital during her 43 years of employment.
The growth of the fund is contingent on additional donations. As the endowment principal grows, the amount of scholarship funds increases. Donations may not be specifically designated for a named individual or department.
- Amount awarded annually based on growth of endowed fund.
- Applicant must be a licensed registered nurse in the state of Iowa, in good standing to practice nursing in the state, and employed by Genesis Medical Center Davenport at the time the scholarship is granted.
- Applicant must be accepted in a BSN degree completion program or a MSN program at an accredited college or university. Nurse practitioner programs do not qualify.
- Applicant must maintain a .4 FTE or higher while accessing scholarship funds.
- Applicant must demonstrate professional demeanor and exhibit behavior exemplifying the Mission and Vision of Genesis Medical Center.
Terms of Scholarship:
- Scholarship proceeds must be used within one year of award. Any funds not used during this period will be released for use in awards to others.
- Scholarship funds will be released to the educational institution, not to the scholarship recipient, for payment of upcoming tuition and fees.
- Scholarship recipient must submit tuition invoice including amount due, billing address, student name and ID to email@example.com in order to have funds released to their educational institution.
- Application must be made online by deadline of March 31.
- Prior to submitting application, supporting documents must be uploaded with your application. Supporting documents include:
- Complete the degree completion scholarship application.
- A copy of your acceptance letter into an accredited BSN or MSN nursing program.
- Please tell us in 500-600 words how attaining a BSN or MSN will help you to identify and integrate new knowledge, innovations, and improvements into practice as it relates to research and evidence-based practice.
- Request a letter of recommendation from your supervisor via your online application.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your application is complete and that your letters of recommendation have been submitted.
- Consideration will be given to RN’s involved in direct care giving.
- Consideration will be given to the applicant’s participation within the Genesis organization, promotion of professionalism through mentoring, length of service at Genesis Medical Center and its predecessors, a satisfactory work record, a statement of desire, and a written recommendation from the employee’s supervisor.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified annually in May.
Statement of Anti-Discrimination Policy:
- Decision will not be made on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, marital status, unfavorable military discharge, handicap or age. No question on the application is intended to secure information to be used for such discrimination.
If you have questions about the scholarship or application process, contact Katie Bailey by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 563-421-1344.