A Really Enlarged Prostate Display At Genesis Cancer Care Institute
Two of the most annoying words for men of a certain age are enlarged and prostate.
The display at the Genesis Cancer Care Institute on Sept. 15 will take enlarged prostate to an entirely new level; like 12 feet long, 12 feet wide and 10 feet tall.
As part of Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, a men’s health inflatable display will be available from 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. to remind men to not neglect their urological health. The display of the pelvis features visual elements of prostate health, including visuals of prostate cancer.
“With the exception of skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men. We hope this display will be a large reminder that prostate health is important in the general health of men,’’ explained Wendy Ballou, cancer nurse navigator, Genesis Cancer Care Institute. “Prostate cancer is very treatable but can also be deadly when it spreads.’’
Here are key facts about prostate cancer:
• One in 7 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lifetime
• Approximately 60 percent of all cancers of the prostate are found in men aged 65 or older
• Prostate cancer develops more often in African-American men than in Caucasian men and African-American men are more than twice as likely to die of this disease
• The skeletal system (bone metastasis) is the most prevalent site for spread of prostate cancer
• Men 50 years old and older should ask their primary care physician about Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) blood test
The Genesis Cancer Care Institute is located in Pavilion 1 of the Genesis Medical Center, West Central Park Campus in Davenport.