Volunteer with Hospice
Why Volunteering for Genesis Hospice is so special
“It’s a privilege to volunteer for Genesis Hospice, just to be able to help someone, even if it’s not in a big way. I feel that this is the most important time in the patients and their families lives. It is very rewarding to be able to be a part of that. I definitely receive more than I give" Ann Fennell, Genesis Hospice Volunteer.
Who can volunteer
Volunteers will be required to have a background check, TB test, and Influenza vaccine. (Genesis provides these at no cost to you)
Volunteers 14-17 will be required to have a work permit
The Ideal Candidate
Caring & Compassionate , Friendly & Flexible
The “job” opportunities
There are many opportunities to volunteer with Genesis Hospice. We serve patients and families in the community--some in their own homes, some in care facilities--and at the Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House.
In the community, duties may include:
- Providing respite for caregivers
- Companionship to patients including reading, playing music, visiting, or just holding a hand
- Light housekeeping such as dishes, preparing a light meal, vacuuming, or dusting
- Occasional outdoor chores such as mowing and shoveling
- Running errands
There are many opportunities in the Hospice house including:
- Providing companionship and support to the patient and their families.
- Assisting staff with feeding and patient care
- Lending a hand in the kitchen and dining area
- General housekeeping such as dusting, laundry, or plant care is also needed
- Staffing the front reception desk to greet and direct visitors
- Providing pet or music therapy
If you are a veteran, you may be interested in training for our Veteran recognition program and help us honor our Veterans.
Volunteer orientations are held monthly. There will be one full day of classroom followed by a half day of hands-on skills lab.
How to apply
Submit your application online. A Volunteer coordinator will then contact you to answer any questions and to assist in getting you enrolled in orientation.