5 Reasons You Need a Family Doctor
Have a headache that won’t go away? Concerned about that cough that has long outlasted your cold? Any idea if your cholesterol or blood pressure is normal or if it’s time for a mammogram or colonoscopy?
The first step to better health is having a family doctor.
Here are 5 reasons why:
- Your guide to better health: Establishing care with a primary care provider -- whether you choose an expert in Family Medicine, Pediatrics, or Internal Medicine -- is important for treating your acute and chronic health issues. This provider also helps to keep your family up-to-date on health screenings and vaccinations.
- The doctor who knows you best: Over time, your Genesis primary care provider gets to know you and your family’s medical history and lifestyle to determine possible health risks. Over time, you establish comfort and trust with your family’s doctor. This familiarity is beneficial when a health concern arises or there are changes in your health over the years.
- An ounce of prevention: Regular check-ups can help you and your family make healthy decisions and even prevent health issues before they happen. For example, if a lab test pinpoints at-risk blood sugar levels, your doctor can put you on a treatment plan to prevent Type 2 diabetes.
- Your link to specialty care: Should you need a specialist, your provider can make a referral and then guide and coordinate your care. Because your doctor knows you, he or she can help you find a specialist who best fits your needs and preferences.
- Evidence supports: Still need convincing? A lot of research shows that people who have a primary care provider enjoy better overall health outcomes, fewer visits to the hospital and Emergency Room, and lower total costs of care.
Your Genesis primary care provider can be a physician, a nurse practitioner, or a physician’s assistant. Whomever you choose, count on the fact that your Genesis provider will work together with a care team focused on keeping you and your family as healthy as possible.
Don't have a family doctor? Call 421-DOCS and we will help find you a new provider and schedule your next appointment.